Thursday, June 23, 2011

Last Night at Home

My family went out to dinner. My words-to-bites-of-food ratio was about 300:1. I usually don't finnish the humongous portions, so as always, I asked if I could box up the rest of my spaghetti to take home. I'd actually said it before I realized that no, I couldn't take it home for supper tomorrow night. Tomorrow night, I'll be in the embassy hotel. Leftover spaghetti isn't likely to be served (but you never know :) ).

I've had several of these "Oh, I guess I won't be here for that" moments. A few days ago, when my mom went shopping, I realized that I probably wouldn't get to eat much of the food I was unpacking. It's a strange feeling. We're getting our porch repainted this weekend, about the same time I'll be on a thirteen-hour flight en rout to Beijing. I could go on and on.

I'm in a weird in-between place, where I'm not really in the US, but definitely not in China. I kept losing track of time today, completely zoning out while thinking about the trip. I can't fully participate in life here, when I know I have so little time. And, obviously,  I can't do anything in China. Is this the norm for people going on long trips?



A bit of humor (not EXACT dialogue): 

My Brother (DiDi): Hey, Cameron, remember that time we tried to dig a hole to China? ***(There have also been a lot of "remember that time" -s. You'd think I was never coming back! Also, I think that every American kid MUST try this at one time or another.)***

Me: We never did that!

DiDi: Yeah we did, that time at the beach. 

Me: Oh yeah...it didn't really work, did it?

DiDi: *laughs* We wanted to visit. 

Me: Yes. But now we have these great machines to do that sort of thing.

DiDi: Really? Machines that can go to China? 

Me: Yeah, DiDi, they're called airplanes. 


*** Di Di means "little brother" in Chinese, and I've called him that as a nickname for years.***



On another note, I finally have some pictures of my completed traveling pharmacy!

This is a top view of the TP in my CHECK bag (a.k.a. largest one).

See how it takes up ALMOST HALf?!?!?!? The whole "Almost a third" bit was an understatement.

Aaaaaaaand THIS is the bag I'll actually be using to carry it :(  It's my carry-on. Literally, it's almost my entire carry-on. I AM PREPARED FOR AT LEAST TEN MEDICAL EMERGENCIES THAT INVOLVE SUFFOCATION AND/OR RUNNY NOSES.


They better cure food allergies and asthma SOON. Before I take my gap year :O Can you imagine hauling a YEAR'S worth of this stuff around? I'd need to hire a personal sherpa.

Answering question from Mike, a guy on the trip: I've "studied" Chinese with various tutors on and off for ten years. This last year was my first year in a classroom. I jumped headfirst into a really rigorous Chinese Level 3 Honors class, and it was basically an immersion. I was in waaaaaay over my head, but I swam instead of sinking, if you'll excuse the extended metaphor. So I can do the basics, but there are chasms in my ability. I can speak better than I listen, and I read better than I write. What about you?

I think I speak Chinglish.

No comments:

Post a Comment