Friday, June 17, 2011

Traveling Pharmacy

So I have allergies. I am anaphylactic (read: I eat, I die) to peanuts and tree nuts (like macadamia nuts, almonds, pecans, cashews). So when peanuts or treenuts get into by body (I don't even necessarily have to EAT them. I could rest my hand on a table where someone's just eaten some PB&J, and then rub my eye or something),  I get itchy, painful red bumps all over my skin (these are called hives), the parts of my body that have come in contact with the allergen swell up, I get stomach cramps and start throwing up, and, worst of all, my throat swells shut. And when you can't breathe, you kind of die. I'm also allergic to animal dander and saliva, pollen, dust, and mold (and probably some other stuff, but it's hard to keep track), but for those allergies (called environmental allergies) all that happens to me is I get itchy, watery eyes, a running nose, and sometimes hives. I also have asthma, which means when I breathe dirty air, or when I do a lot of exercise, my bronchioles (a.k.a. the little tubes in your lungs where oxygen goes when you breath in) swell shut and I can't breathe. And when you can't breathe...

This is quite a problem for someone going to everybody-cooks-with-peanut-oil, worst-air-pollution-in-the-world China. BUT. All of this can be controlled with --- drumroll please --- Cameron Ishee's Traveling Pharmacy!

The Traveling Pharmacy is a box that takes up about 1/4th of my larger bag, and it contains the assortment of pills, powders, shots and liquids that will keep me breathing in the event of a Medical Emergency. These Medical Emergencies happen waaaaaaaaaay less frequently than you'd guess, but it won't kill me to be prepared (it will kill me not to be prepared). So, I am spending a large part of today assembling this Traveling Pharmacy. Five days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment